It is said that every great journey begins with a small step. In the case of any online business, the step is certainly the first, essential, but it is a big step: can you imagine a successful company with a web domain that is difficult to write or remember?
The name first, already. The physical name of a website, be it a beautiful showcase or a large e-commerce everything starts from there. It's like having a nice home address. More: it is like being in a large square that is easy to reach, and in Italy the .it extension is a real “deed of ownership”, which exclusively assigns the ownership of an internet domain to the registrant.
The importance of being called well: the tools
There is no absolute method for choosing a foolproof name, but of course the experience and tools help a lot. On the tools I always choose the GoDaddy tool, which of of it recorded "only" 20 million. GoDaddy makes me pick and choose quickly, and in different ways.
I can use the advanced features to filter what I need. I can compete to purchase "premium" domains already registered and put up for sale. And GoDaddy's internal search engine "expands" to suggest interesting extensions or variations of the domain name. Basically it's like having a small consultant on hand, who also lets me register the domains in bulk if necessary: I couldn't wish for anything better. And then, yes, there is also my part, because to choose a domain you also need experience.
Some useful tips for choosing a good domain name
On the experience I can say, as a communication expert, that the criteria for choosing a winning domain are these:
- It needs to be easy to write: avoid cacophonic names or those that have a bad alternation of vowels and consonants.
- You need a short name: whether it is a single word or many, it is short and not very complex, so it will be written and pronounced clearly.
- Use the keyworkds: if the domain is linked to a word that describes your business you are already halfway there.
- Define your professional area: if you have a local business, also revolve around the location. The domain will be more identifiable.
- No numbers and dashes! They are the first reason that misleads those who are looking for your domain
- Easy to remember: you will compete with millions of registered domains. For this it is essential to make room for it with something memorable.
- Search personally: do not throw away the first name that you find free, consider that the domain does not refer to activities already present.
- Use the right extension: the most used ones? .co, .info, .net, .org, .biz, .me
- Protect your brand: cover the same brand with multiple extensions, to better cover domains.
- Hurry up: the names go away at supersonic speed.